Melodies Preschool is a part-time child care facility that cares for preschoolers ages two to five. Our mission is to provide a different style of Early Childhood Education that is not only focused on a strong curriculum, but is also concerned with the quality of learning children receive. We give children a real fun time along with a better learning experience.
Our main priority at Melodies Preschool is FUN. Ans while having fun, we address each of kids’ developmental needs separately and collaboratively:
1. Physical Needs: Melodies Preschool program has a special time of each session allocated for physical activity and organized active play. There is a gym in the facility that is equipped with safe toys, where kids are able to play various active games and dance. We also focus on training children on the basics of some popular sports, like: Hockey, Tennis, Soccer, Basket Ball, Volley Ball and Badminton.
2. Social Needs: We believe that Preschool is a great place for children to socialize with other kids and with grown ups as well. Melodies’ program focuses on teaching preschoolers some social skills that will be used later on in school and anywhere they go. Apart from the day to day interactions, Melodies focuses on teaching children:
- How to be nice to each other
- The proper way of asking for something or asking to play with someone
- Sharing toys without conflict
- Knowing their rights and asking for them
- How to act and react when there is conflict
- How to introduce themselves and make new friends
- Many other social skills that need some guidance from parents and teachers together
By practicing and learning those social skills, children will find it easier to merge in society, have better self-images and higher self confidence.
3. Intellectual Needs: Preschoolers are usually very curious, they want to know everything that goes on around them. We help kids acquire some good knowledge about different aspects of life, primarily by answering all their questions, and further, by having a special themed curriculum – built on play – that has some set goals classified by age group:
|Learning Targets For 3 Year Old||Learning Targets for 4 Year old|
|Know all colors||Know about Color Mixing|
|Know all animals||Know where animals live|
|Know numbers (read only)||Know numbers (read and write)|
|Recognizing their name||Writing their name|
|Getting introduced to different musical instruments||Being able to sing and dance on the beat – and use some percussion instruments|
|Learning to gently play with each other and share toys||Learning how to ask for things and how to make new friends|
|Acquiring some fine motor skills (Drawing, Painting & using scissors)||Acquiring some fine motor skills (writing, using scissors and colouring inside the line)|
|Acquiring some gross motor skills (Physical activity and organized games)||Knowing the basics of some popular sports (like Soccer, Hockey, Tennis and Basket ball)|
|Learning about acting through pretend play||Having small in-class acting performances|
|Loving books and enjoying story time||Holding books and Telling stories|
4. Creative Needs: Melodies preschool believes that the source of all creativity is Art. Being exposed to different forms of art will help teachers detect some talents in kids, share them with their parents, and encourage them to work on developing those talents. We have a special time dedicated to practicing different forms of arts during class time, like Pretending time (acting), Singing and Dancing time (music), and Drawing, Coloring and Craft time. The ultimate goal of combining those arts together is helping kids boost their imagination and think beyond what they can see with their eyes. And because we believe in the effect of live music on children’s moods and creativity, we placed a piano and a guitar in each class, along with some percussion instruments that will be used on daily basis.
5. Emotional Needs: Kids are very sensitive creatures; they should be handled in a special way. Melodies preschool believes that there is nothing as an easy child and a difficult child. All kids are special and unique and each child has his own traits, strengths, capabilities, fears and limitations. That is why, our program has a special focus on kids’ characters. We respect all our children and treat each child with respect and understanding. When it comes to class rules, it is our role as teachers to sort out what really motivates kids to follow the rules and use different positive reinforcement and encouragement techniques to help them bring out their best qualities.
6. Independence: In addition to the five basic learning needs, Melodies Preschool has a special program that focuses on teaching children how to be independent and to go beyond their limits. We believe that while it is true that children come to preschool to learn, play and socialize, yet they need one-on-one coaching on some special skills, which might develop later on to be great talents. They need to learn the “concept” behind everything to be able to excel in it. That is why, we give each child a special one-on-one child-teacher time where he/she is able to learn some skills quicker than learning it within groups.
Examples of those skills:
- Tying their shoe laces
- Wearing Jackets on their own
- Coloring inside the line and in one direction
- Doing crafts
- Writing their names
- Creating pieces of jewelry
- Playing with some toys that need guidance (like Lego, construction sets and Marble sets)
- Making responsible choices in general
7. Field-trips & In-Class Visits: We arrange around 6 field-trips per school year to lots of fun places. Children love field-trips and it always leaves special memories with them. We also get request in-class visits from special visitors who give us lots of nice sessions in relation to our monthly themes.
8. Partnerships: We are partners with:
- I’m for Kids
- Musical Minds
- The Little Gym of Airdrie
I’m for Kids work closely with us on child development of all kinds. I’m for Kids do a special assessment twice a year, in Fall and Spring, to check for any kinds of delays children might face compared to peers of their age. The team consists of: A Speech Pathologist, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist and Psychologist. Both Parents and Teachers share their concerns and we start working on them right away. All Screenings, Assessments, Aids and Sessions provided to our kids are totally covered by the Government of Alberta
Musical Minds is a music program that teaches kids how to improve their musical ear, it teaches them how to sing and use percussion instruments to follow the beat. It also familiarize kids with different kinds of musical instruments.
The Little Gym of Airdrie is a Gymnastics place that works on kids’ gross motor abilities.
We’re so proud with our partnerships and we see lots of growth every day having this kind of specialized assistance
Our classes are a mixture between 3 and 4-year-olds with an even distribution. Mixing of those ages has proven to have many social, developmental and psychological benefits, as younger children learn to expand their skills when they watch their older peers play, they develop faster and build up a sense of competition, in a good way. On the other hand, older children acquire the seeds of responsibility and learn how to socialize with their younger peers with love and patience. They also learn new skills by learning to explain everything to their younger peers, which makes them feel competent and are eager to excel in whatever they do. We only separate children by age in literacy stations that is always developmentally relevant.